Sunday, August 10, 2008

Representing....

When I had the discussion with my wife about running for city council, the two of us listed the things that we thought were needed to do a good job. Being able to vote the wishes of the people in my ward, even when I might not agree, was one of our main concerns. Being available from 8:00 A.M until 10:00 P.M. was another. Working well with the city employees, other Council members, and the Mayor was next. Last but not least was being able to have a passion for the city and its people so I can give 100 percent each and every day of my term.

  I had a major concern about having the strength as your councilman to be able to vote the Ward’s wishes as opposed to mine when they were different. I am very human, and one of my personal weaknesses has been pride. I have liked the fact that I have always been opinionated and not been afraid to speak my mind. However, in recent years the Lord has been working on me in many ways to open my eyes and soften my stances in many situations. I think some of you may call that getting wiser with age and realizing that I don’t know everything. I know that in recent years we have had a voice on the council, but to the best of my knowledge it has not been a voice of the ward as much as it has been that of one man or a group of men. I have decided that on every topic I will give you an opportunity to give me your thoughts, and I WILL vote what the majority of our ward wants.

   My job requires that I have a cell phone on 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. I have published that cell phone number and my E-mail address on many occasions. I will always be willing to help you from 8:00 AM. until 10:00 PM, and even afterwards in the case of an emergency. I live right across from the Vista Circle sign and have two boys that are in public school, so much of my time I am in Gardendale. I will also have supper every last Tuesday of the month at Hamburger Heaven, and I encourage you to bring your concerns there to have supper and discuss issues you would like me to take to the next council meeting.

  I have had many dealings with different city employees over the years. I feel like the city of Gardendale has been fortunate to hire the quality people that we have that work for the city. I also feel like they should be compensated as well as possible for the jobs they do. I have a good relationship with 4 out of 5 of the Mayoral candidates and look forward to the possibility of working with them to improve our city. I do not personally know Jonathon Dunagan, but I doubt we would have trouble working together. I feel as though each and every Council candidate has many qualities that would benefit Gardendale.

  My biggest strength is the fact that I LOVE GARDENDALE, and there is no other place I would call home. I have 2 boys and a baby on the way. I want these guys to grow up here and have the quality of life that I had when I was growing up here. The things that make quality of life good are feeling safe, being able to shop and eat close by, to be able to worship, and have good things to do. I will passionately work to bring in these kinds of businesses and opportunities to our city. Gardendale is still the best place in Jefferson County to raise a family, and I want with all my heart to make it better.

  We are a few short weeks away from you deciding who will represent you for the next four years. I hope you will give me a look. I am not perfect, but I will keep every promise that I make to you. I will be in Brentwood and the apartments this week. I am available on my cell at 238-1272 and E-mail at mburkett@charter.com for anyone that would like to speak to me. Thank you for your consideration, and have a very blessed day

Mike “Buckett” Burkett

No comments: