Sunday, January 11, 2009

What do you say?

How many times have you been sitting in your living room watching TV and have the phone ring. Someone else answers it and you can tell by their face that something just isnt right. You wait very impatiently for that person to get off the phone so you can find out what is wrong. Then come the words that tell you someone you know has passed away. If you are like me, your first thought is for the person, and then the pain that you know the loved ones are now experiencing. Somewhere, after those first few thoughts, you realize you are going to have to see the family members, and, if you are like me, figure out what you are going to say.

I think of the times this has happened to me in the past. With friends that have lost a spouse. A few times with someone that has lost a child. Mostly though with former players that have lost one of their parents. It has always been something that I have not been comfortable with. It has been something that I have tried to figure out ways out of, but, something I know I must do. Guys, after July 20th, 2008, I think I have figured out the answer to this situation.

So very many of you came to us during the week of Katie's passing. I heard many different things, but most of the time I could tell that the person approaching me really had no idea what to say. The thing that helped me the most was the fact that you were here with me. There really was nothing you could say, because at the time I didnt know what I wanted to hear. Words spoken to me were not going to do anything to take away the pain. However, I have found that words have been able to ease the suffering that I have gone through.

You see, during some of the most trying times in the last few months like homecoming, Katie's birthday, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, so very many of you have called or E-mailed to say that you are lifting us up in prayer. Times like these that I had been dreading were made easier because my Heavenly Father has covered me in his grace and, at times, given me signs that my baby is alive and doing very well. God gave me the thought that I talked about in my last blog about Christmas in Heaven and how wonderful that must have been for Buggs. Guys, that is a direct answer to so very many of my Christian brotherhood fighting the battle for me. Some may say that I have become a crazy holy roller or something and thats ok. Can you see the results of your prayers, no. I cant see the wind either, but I can definately see the results of it. In this same way, I can see and feel the results of your prayers.

With all this being said, I guess the best thing you can say to someone is " I will be praying for you". Thats the thing that has helped me the most. To be honest I remember very little of the words that were spoken, but I remember how many of you came that hurt for us and loved Katie. Just you being here said enough. Please continue to pray for my family and I. You guys are making an incredible difference in the life of a daddy that misses his little girl terribly. I cannot carry this burden without Gods grace and your prayers are being heard on our behalf. I will do all I can to stay in Gods grace. I know that their are many other burdens that need to be lifted up, but if you can keep me on the list guys I will appreciate it very much. God Bless you guys and if I can be of assistance in any way feel free to call

Mike "Buckett" Burkett

P.S. My computer crashed and I have lost all e-mail addresses so anyone that can please give me your e-mail address again. My E-mail is mburkett@charter.net

No comments: