Sunday, July 13, 2008

I am Mike Burkett and I am running for City Council ward 2 in Gardendale. I am 43 years old. I have been married to Shelley Edwards for 10 years. We have three children: Katie, Andrew, and Jackson. We have all lived in Gardendale Most of our lives and can’t imagine ever calling any other place home.

The reasons that have led me to run for this council position are as follows: 1) To be the voice of the people in Ward 2 when it comes to citywide decisions.2) To once again make Gardendale the best place in Jefferson County to live. 3) To assure that we as citizens are able to continue to live in a safe and thriving environment.

The ways that I intend to be your voice are as follows: 1) I will have my cell phone number and E-mail address accessible to all of the people in my ward. 2) I will eat supper with my family the last Tuesday of each month at Hamburger Heaven so I can meet with anyone that has issues or suggestions I can carry to Council the next Monday 3) I will always vote YOUR will and not MY ideals in Council Meetings.

To regain our Title as “The Best Kept Secret in Jefferson County”. My goal is to do the following: 1) Make a concerted effort to bring in businesses that the young people of Gardendale will want to visit. 2) Update our ballparks and give the older kids places to play and practice. 3) Work with the police dept. to increase patrols in our neighborhoods. 4) Find a way to build a Fire station on the west and South side of town. 5) Try to increase the amount of funding each year given to the four schools in our area. 6) Figure out a way to give the city employees a raise.

If we are to improve our way of life we must get more revenue coming in to the city. We must grow the number of legitimate businesses and maintain the ones that we have. Every candidate says that, but how do you actually go about getting it done? There are 3 main types of businesses: retail, food and service, and industry - each one having different opportunities in our City, but having them nonetheless. We have to go out and recruit these businesses and give them a reason to come to our city. I believe we should have committees that are responsible for each one and their recruitment.

I am not a lawyer or a Real Estate agent. I am just an average guy that loves his city and neighborhood. I ask you for an opportunity to serve you for 1 or possibly 2 terms as your voice in city hall. I will work diligently and openly for you. I will not give in to pressure from the outside. And last but not least, I will always welcome your calls and E-mails to give me your opinions and problems.

Thank you,
Mike “Buckett” Burkett

1 comment:

Patti B said...

You go Buckett !!!

Wish I could campaign for you !! I guess my Mobile residents wouldn't count.

Take care,
XXOO
Patti B