Friday, July 25, 2008

Wow....

You’re in a better place, I’ve heard a thousand times. And at least a thousand times, I’ve rejoiced for you. But the reason why I’m broken, the reason why I cry, is how long must I wait to be with you.

What an amazing week we have been through. The incredible sadness of that moment, Sunday, when my beautiful Katie left us to go to her glory. The incredible demonstration of love by the 100 or so people who stopped what they were doing to meet us at the hospital. The amazing support and tenderness from my entire family. The compassionate mercy and love my heavenly Father has displayed during this entire ordeal.

This community has been incredible. That’s the only word I can find to come close to describing it. I was lifted up by phone calls during the trip to the hospital. I have been carried on the backs of so many during the visitation and funeral. We are blown away by the love and tenderness of people coming by and cutting my grass, cooking food, cleaning the house, screening my calls, and just being here during the many times that I have totally lost it to pray, pat me on the back and just say “we love you”.

FAMILY. What a word. The true meaning came to light in my eyes this week. My parents were so worried about me when their hearts were shattered into a million pieces. My wonderful wife has absolutely been an angel. Our aunts, uncles, cousins and in-laws have all been here to just say,“what can I do.”

The most important thing in all of this was the fact that I learned what it truly means to be loved by God the father. I am not going to go into specific accounts of this now, but I will with anyone who wants to call or come by. Guys, my heavenly father has been so merciful. Knowing the details, I am sure you would feel the same way.

I do not understand why this had to happen. I am not sure I could understand if someone told me or if it would even matter, because Katie would not be back. I do know this: she can not come to me, but I will one day be able to go to her. Knowing that Katie is already in heaven makes me face my future and my own death with a little less fear and dread. Also, I know that this whole experience is making me better. Now, I’m not saying that I’m better off. But, I am better. I’m a better father to my two sons. I’m a better husband, a better son, a better friend, a better man. And for that, I am grateful.

As for City Council, I do not know what I am going to do. I have been told to not make any major decisions for a couple of weeks. My main motivation for seeking public office was my three children: I wanted to help make this a better community for them. And I still have a strong desire to serve this city. When you have a week like we have had you realize how special Gardendale is and why I am so glad I live here.

So, to all of you who have called, sent cards and food, donated to the memorial fund, prayed, or simply “been there” for us, I say THANK YOU. And to the Ward 2 voters, please give me some time to decide what my next move will be. I want to make the RIGHT decision for YOU, for ME, and for Gardendale.

Please continue to pray for us – you have no idea how you have carried us this week, and we’ll need you even more in the coming days. Again, a million thank you’s……

5 comments:

Dianne Ragland said...

Buckett, thank you for so beautifully putting into words your journey through this past week. God is doing an amazing thing! I appreciate you and love you! I'm excited to see how God is going to use you, Shelley, your sons, your coming baby, and all of us who have been touched by this week never to be the same! May God continue to richly bless you!
Aunt Dianne

Amazed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff Dennis said...

Buckett

Your strenth is amazing and encouraging. I have continued to have you on my mind this week, but especially today, and my prayers have been for you often.

I left your sweet Katies service and couldn't even go back to work. I took the rest of the day off and spent it with my girls.

May you continue to feel the shoulders of this community as we carry you and may these same shoulders be there for you to cry on.

This community is forever changed for the better because of Katie. Lives have been changed and families strengthened.

You will contine to remain in my prayers.

Your family needs your love and the community needs your voice in some capacity. Whatever capacity that is, God will lead you in the right direction.

God Bless you friend!

Jeff Dennis

Holli said...

Mike,

I just wanted to let you know that thoughts of your family and parents have weighed heavily on my heart and mind. As a devout Christian and mother of three girls I can only imagine the power of God's love that you have been experiencing. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers today and always.

Holli Brown Hicks
(your 3rd cousin)

Roger Pettis said...

Buckett, you are going down a path that no one, no one has or will ever want to walk down. Even Jesus Christ himself questioned his father's calling, but he knew it was why he came. Katie now knows why she came. With God's Grace, we will too!
Psalm 23 is often used to in times of grief to console those of us who are left behind, verse 4 says "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:" The part I like about this the most is not the being fearless in the face of evil. It's the "I walk through" part, emphasis on the "through", that I find comforting. It doesn't say we stand, sit, hang out, live, etc. It says "I walk through the valley", and with God as our shepard he leads us through these valleys. It is in the valley where we find the green, lush nourishment of God's love. It is in the valley where the stream flows, where we can quench our thirst for God's word, and "through the valley" is the path that leads us to the mountaintop. Like sheep, we must abide with the Good Shephard, for he will show us the way.
Buckett, I love you man and I hurt for you and your family. Grieve well my friend!