Sunday, February 22, 2009

Surprise Gifts

I came home from a family birthday thing today and got an incredible gift. While I was gone, Leslie Dodson had driven by and left me a CD of the cheerleaders 2008 camp.This CD contained many minutes of Katie at cheercamp last summer. Can you imagine the feeling I had when I put the disk in and actually got to see and hear my baby talking, smiling, cheering etc. There were times that I just tried to reach out and touch the screen. I just wanted one more hug, kiss, just to feel her next to me, one more time. Some of you that read this blog know what I am talking about from experience, and some, can only imagine what that might seem like. My prayer for the ones that have to imagine is thats as close as you ever get to dealing with losing a child.

I am sure that there are many men out there that know what I mean when I say that I never knew what love was until Katie was born. She had a real weird color and an elongated head from being in the birth canal too long. I was a first time dad, so I turned to the Doctor and said," will she stay like that." As you can imagine, I have caught alot of grief over that question from KK and her Mom throughout the years. I also remember the first fever she had that got over 102, That scared me to death. While we are mentioning the health issues, I must mention the Broken Arm, Broken Leg, Stitches in her head, all by the age of 6.

Tynette and I divorced when she was 6 and had it not been for Katie, I would have gone crazy. During the height of the tension she calmly told me that I would always have her. You can't imagine the joy a man has when he feels unconditional love for the first time. I know that my parents love me as well but, that is kind of expected. She stayed with me a majority of the time and some of my fondest memories with her are of us reading books and watching Bert and Ernie.

Later came softball and other sports when she was a pre-teen. She was so excited when she made all-stars as a 10 year old. The next year she played for Darryl Sutton and made it again. Thats when it kicked in to her that hard work pays off. Darryl would carry Katie and Kendall to the park on Saturdays and Sundays and with his help, KK got alot better. Shortly after that she got her first bra and went crazy. She decided she liked Boys and wanted to be a cheerleader. That was a sad day in the life of her Dad. We spent many nights the next few years worrying about cheerleading and Rockette tryouts. It was a real blessing being able to see her work so hard to make it and then see the look of accomplishment on her face when she actually found out that she made the squad.

She started dating at 15. Driving at 16. Going to all the Alabama home games with me the fall she turned 16. She loved Alabama and would get so upset when we lost. She knew in her heart that once we hired Coach Saban that she was going to be in for an incredible four years. She felt like he would turn the program into a dynasty again. She was about to begin her college career and couldn't wait to be in T-Town. She always wanted to go to the Sugar Bowl because she knew the history of Alabama and the Sugar Bowl.

I appreciate the time you guys have given to go down memory lane with me. Right now that is what I have. The memories and the knowledge that we will one day be together again. You can't possibly imagine how important that last part is. The knowledge that Katie and I have accepted Jesus as our Lord and Saviour and because of that acceptance even physical death will not keep us apart. I would like to encourage every parent that reads this to do a couple of things. First, ask yourself what would happen to you if you died tonight. If you do not know the answer please read 1 John Chapter 3. Second, know how your children stand spiritually and guide them accordingly. Third, appreciate every game, dance, vacation, dinner, etc. that you have with those you love. If you do these things, it will make it easier to wake up each morning if, heaven forbid, your ever in our families shoes.

Mike"Buckett" Burkett

1 comment:

Misty said...

I enjoyed reading your memories. I am one of those parents that can only imagine. Your family is in our prayers. Unconditional love has became a real thing in our lives since my brother-in-law's cancer diagnosis. We know that God loves us unconditinally but us truly putting that unconditional love to work in our lives has been put into action full force for us. I took a senior citizen to the nursing home on Feb. 25, to celebrate her 53rd Wedding Anniversary with her husband that didn't have a clue what was going on around him. The smile that he brought to her face was a heart wrenching example of unconditional love.