Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Teachable Moments

When Brother Steve left GFBC for Belleview, I was very concerned for our Church. Steve was such a dynamic Pastor and really had a heart for God. When I heard Pastor Kevin preach for the first time my doubts were immediately removed. He has taken the reins at our Church and made each Sunday a blessing. I look forward to getting to know Kevin in the Future and was thrilled when he said yes to doing my blog.

As a pastor and a parent of 3 girls (senior, freshman and 1st grade), I am desperately trying to discern when I have a “teachable moment” with my children. You see, as a pastor EVERYTHING seems to be a teachable moment . . . at least, that’s what my kids tell me. So I am learning when to speak and when not to speak. I often ask the Holy Spirit for divine discernment as to when I should share a “life lesson” and when I should just keep quiet and allow God to “teach” my kids. Oh yeah, I also have to keep reminding myself that they are not “my” kids but “HIS” kids. Therefore, HE also has their best interest in mind.

So how do you determine when you have a teachable moment or not? That is a great question. I wish that I could say that I have the full-proof answer to that tough question but I don’t. I have learned a few lessons along the way that just might help you in your search for that answer.

First of all, I must rely on the wisdom of God through His Holy Spirit. I am striving to become more sensitive to the Spirit so that He can help me know when to talk and when to just be quiet. The Bible encourages us to ask for wisdom and God will give it to us freely and generously (James 1:5). Praying for wisdom has been a recurring theme for me for a long, long time. I was saved when I was 8 years old and surrendered to the ministry was I was 11 years old so I’ve had the incredible benefit at starting my walk with Jesus at an early age. However, it seems like I was always the young, inexperienced minister (my kids do remind me now that I’m not that young anymore) so I learned early on to pray earnestly for divine wisdom. Wisdom is the ability to use knowledge in the best possible way. Every parent … every teacher … every coach … every leader of young people desperately needs divine wisdom from above!

Secondly, I have learned to “read” the reactions of my daughters. There are certain times that they seem more open to “teachable moments” than others. As a matter of fact, I often ask them, “Hey, I just noticed something that I would like to briefly share with you. Are you open to hearing about it?” Rarely have they not given me permission to push on but I think that by giving them the “control” of the conversation they feel more affirmed and appreciated.

Thirdly, I reward them for reading the books that I want them to read. You may object, “But you are bribing her!” I couldn’t have said it better myself. Yes, I am paying them to do what I want them to do. We used to call that an allowance. Clean your room. Put up your dirty clothes. Take out the trash then I will give you an allowance. Kim and I do not pay for household chores. Allow me to say that again. We do not pay for household chore. That is expected of everyone in the family (yes, even I have to do some chores . . . of course, they don’t involve power tools … ha, ha). Kim and I are more than willing to “reward” our girls for reading a book that we know can change their perspective and set them on the right track for life!

Fourthly, I am learning patience. I cannot make every moment a “teachable moment.” Some lessons take time to develop and be learned and they don’t have to get it all before they begin dating at age 35 … ha, ha! Parenting is one of the most difficult, challenging, frustrating, disappointing, depressing, agitating, irritating, but rewarding jobs in the world and I wouldn’t trade it for a weekly allowance!

Kevin Hamm

No comments: