Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I have been blown away

I have asked God many times to lead me in the direction that he wanted me to take with my Blog. I have asked that he put the words that he wanted me to write on this paper. God has led me to use others in the blog to show their point of view and life experiences. One day God spoke to me and told me that I needed to ask Carli Patrick to do one of my next blogs. After reading her message I know why he led me in that direction.

Carli is a 19 year old Freshman at Alabama. She was one of Katie's best friends for many years and has been like a member of the Burkett Family. Words cannot describe how we all feel about Carli. She took many vacations with us and was injured in the wreck that took my Katies life. Here is her amazing story:

When Buckett asked me to write a blog, I looked at him like we was crazy. I told him I have absolutely nothing to write. Buckett reminded me that we all have a story and that I should write about mine. So here goes nothing….

13 months ago, I was involved in a car accident that dramatically changed 5 peoples’ lives along with all of our families. We all lost a part of us: a best friend, a daughter, a cousin, etc. I remember my dad telling me in the hospital that Katie didn’t make it and all I could think about was why did this happen. We were all good people. We went to church. We made good grades. Why did we deserve this?

While we were in the hospital, it felt as if the entire city of Gardendale came to visit us. People brought flowers, cards, food, etc! Amazing love was shown to us through our families and friends. For that, I will forever be grateful.

I remember my brother coming in. He came the day after the accident, holding a note. He put it beside my bed and told me to open it after everyone had left. In the note, he explained how much he wanted to take all the pain away. He thought that’s what big brothers were supposed to do. He said all he could do was to hold my hand though. He also told me that “he strongly encouraged me to take all of my thoughts to God. HE could handle them.” It would be a long time before I actually understood what that meant.

My senior year was filled with bittersweet memories. It seemed as if as soon as things seemed like they would be normal again, I would start missing Katie more. Everyone told me to just keep praying and everything would get better because God had a plan for me. I didn’t really believe that then. I had been praying and nothing was getting better and I surely didn’t believe that God could use me. As my senior year dragged on, it seemed as if I just got angrier and angrier. Not on the outside but on the inside I did. I quit praying all together. I decided that God hadn’t been there for me, so I surely wasn’t going to be there for him.

Everything only got worse. I only became angrier and more closed off than I had been in the first place. I kept thinking that I was going to wake up. This whole thing had just been a bad dream and that none of it was real. But it was real and I never woke up. One day as I sat alone in my house, I came across the note that my brother had written me. As I read over the words I thought to myself, “God, if you really want to know how I feel well here it is.” I began screaming. Yes, I said screaming and at the top of my lungs. I sat there crying and screaming. I honestly think that was the first time I had been real with myself and especially with God. I finally let go of all that I had been holding inside for so many months. Nothing changed in my life in that moment. I didn’t start praying more or reading my Bible, but I did start telling God how I felt in each moment. If I was sad, I would tell him about it. If I thought things were unfair, I would tell him about that too. Each time it was if God kept telling me, “I’m here daughter. I’ve always been right here.”

I started going to Generation on Thursday nights at church. I would listen to the message, sing the songs, and then sit nervously during the invitation. I knew that I didn’t have a real relationship with God. My relationship with Him had always been a one way street. I took and took from Him and wanted Him to help me only when I thought I couldn’t handle things myself. One night, I couldn’t sit still any longer. I confessed to God that I hadn’t been a disciple for Him. I had never experienced a true relationship with Him and I told Him that I wanted Him to be the center of my life. I didn’t want to run anymore. If I ran anywhere it was going to be into Him. So that’s what I did. I ran to Him and let Him run with me. I began reading and praying and talking to God about everything that went on in my life. I told Him what I was thinking, what I needed, what I felt, and I knew deep in my heart that He was listening. God actually did care about me, not only that, but He did love me! ME!! I sometimes have a hard time understanding that and constantly find myself asking the question, “God why do you love me so much? Selfish, impatient, me??” And the answer is always the same. “Because you are my child and nothing you do will ever take that love away from you!”

How amazing is it that God loves us? More importantly, how amazing is it when we actually realize that? INCREDIBLE!

I am now a freshman student at The University of Alabama! I moved to Tuscaloosa about 2 ½ weeks ago. Everyday is a challenge. I have to drag myself out of bed and to class almost everyday. I have to actually do my homework without mom and dad making me and I have to find my own food!! It doesn’t make it any easier that I miss Katie Burkett every day! I know she would be right here with us loving every minute of it! But she is here. She’s always with us!

What a journey I have been on. God has already used me in some amazing ways. I had the incredible opportunity of becoming apart of the Generation ministry. I developed God-building relationships with people who have been there for me unconditionally. I have gotten to speak to people who do not yet know the Lord and tell them my story. God sent me to Ecuador in July and I got to serve his people! In Ecuador, I got to be apart of an incredible experience I will never forget! I also know that part of God’s plan in my life is to serve in other countries such as Ecuador! What an amazing call that is!

I have an amazing group of friends that support me and encourage me in my Christian faith daily! I have an amazing family that does the same. But more importantly, I have an amazing God who never fails me. I know God has a plan for me. He has a plan for me in a job one day, in a family, and to a Godly man. Right now, I am just walking daily with him fulfilling His purpose in my life. I don’t exactly know what it is, but I know that wherever I go, He is going to use me for His glory. Nothing is too big for GOD. I realized He actually can handle our thoughts and anything we throw at him! He wants us to do that. He wants us to be honest with Him and that’s what I intend to do with Him daily.

I encourage you also to throw any emotion you have at God. Any feelings, worries, doubts, etc. HE CAN HANDLE THEM!! God has an amazing plan for you! You just have to ask for it! J

Carli Patrick

1 comment:

Shana said...

Wow...wise beyond your years Ms. Carli. That was a pretty awesome testimony & I thoroughly enjoyed reading it =0)