Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Finally Over

  It’s finally over. 337 to 363 were the final numbers in the Ward 2 runoff. What does all this mean? Where do I go from here? Guys, as I am now 1 day out from the end of the election, I think I have a good answer for both questions. 

  Gary Morris beating me in the election tells me that this was Gods plan all along. Gary really is the better choice for this position. The times that are coming up are critical to our city and his knowledge and experience will be needed. Someone will soon be made council President and he would be a safe choice for that position. He did many things in our campaign that were very respectful of my family and our situation and to him I will always be grateful for that. I believe we will see the best possible Gary Morris in the four years to come and I believe this campaign has assured that. Congratulations Gary and Gardendale for making the right choice. 

  My future now is much clearer. I believe my heavenly Father put me in this election to keep my mind of Katie as much as possible. Her friends and their families were very important in my campaign efforts and this gave us time to be together to grieve and focus our energies to something positive. I still sit at home or in my truck and cry three to four times a day but now, 10 weeks later, I know I will get through this because I can not because I have to. I am going to continue to go to council meetings. I am going to be a cheerleader as opposed to a problem maker. I encourage everyone to do the same in the comings months. There will be hard decisions that have to be made so lets trust the people we have elected to make the right ones. They are very capable and gifted people. 

  There are so many people I need to thank: Greg Maxwell, Jeff Powell, Janet Mitchell, Dianne Ragland, Cindy Mars, The 2009 Cheerleaders especially the Super6, Erika England, Jeff Dennis, McGruder, Oscar Mann, Othell Phillips, Dennis Gamble, Jerome Cantrell, Tammy Sutton. That’s just the tip of the Iceberg, and please if I left someone out its not because I am not appreciative. These people did not necessarily support me against my opponent, they were just supportive of me in a very trying time in my life. Last but not least my dear family who took every step with me. 

Mike “Buckett” Burkett

No comments: