Tuesday, October 14, 2008

update

               It has been three months since you left. I find I am missing you more each and every day. People have told me that time would make it easier, but that just hasn’t been true. There have been many things going on since the worst day of my life. Your Rockets are 3-4. Bama is on an incredible tear. Blakely got Homecoming Queen. We are all making it through the day any way we can. 

   You would be so proud of the GHS football team. They have taken the fight to everyone they have played. There has been no evidence of backing down or being intimidated by anyone. Conner has played well and Trey has been amazing. Timothy, Bobby, and Lawson are making plays all over the field. When we won our first game against Oak Mountain, the players and cheerleaders all ran over to the band. They were dancing and singing and they all pointed to the sky for you. Baby, you are not forgotten 

   Saban has gotten the Tide off to a 6-0 start. We beat Clemson in Atlanta  and then tore Georgia up a few weeks later at their place. Right now we are ranked 2nd in the polls. If we keep winning we will possibly play in the National Championship in Miami. Carli, Katie, Mollie, and Josh have been going to the games with your tickets. Shelley and I have been to a couple but it just don’t feel the same. It seems like all I can think about when they win is how happy you would be. 

  Homecoming 2008 was almost like you picked the Homecoming court. Blakely won and the senior Reps were Katie, Mollie, Carli, and Natalie. They all looked very pretty. Cassie got to crown the winner. We all took pictures before they left and I even got some with Andrew and the girls. 

   Shelley is going to have you a little sister. We found out last week. I know you always said you wanted to be the only girl but I know Buggs, that you would have spoiled a little sister to death. We are going to name her Jamison. I hope she has your spirit and determination. I hope she is not as pretty though because I don’t want to have to worry about the boys….Just kidding. 

   Andrew is doing well in school. He has had a super year in football. He has your competitiveness after all. Seems like every week he has the biggest kid on the other team on him. Jack is learning well and after he got into trouble the first two days things have settled down. He misses you but thinks its really cool that you are in Heaven with Jesus. Giggy and Pop call and come by all the time. They are worried about us and they miss you terribly. You have had an article in the Birmingham news and your marker has been put in. It has all the people you love on it. Josh is down at Montevallo and his room is one big Katie collage. 

   That leaves me. I never knew anything could hurt so bad. I regret every moment of your life that I didn’t spend with you. I wish I could get on you about a shirt or phone bill or coming in late. I think back to every special moment, the ballgames, stripe fishing, beauty pageants, tryouts, and just wish we could have one more. There is not 1 minute in a day that I don’t think about you. You taught me what love was. I never knew until you were born how much a man could love. I am so sorry that I couldn’t help you that day. I will never ever be able to get over that. I always promised I would protect you and in that, I let you down. I promise you this KK, no daddy ever loved a daughter more and one day we will be together again. I love you baby. 

Daddy

3 comments:

JOH said...

I too lost a very special person in my life recently and was there at her death. I understand your feeling totally. I think you are doing the best thing and that is to get it out and not hold it in.My thoughts are with you.

Linda said...

I think Katie knows without a doubt that there is only so much we can protect them from. I think she knows you are always there with her. Thank you for this beautiful letter. It strengthens me. Bless you.

Anonymous said...

God bless you all. We love you and Shelley so much. Our prayers are still with you.