Monday, December 15, 2008

Merry Christmas

  Christmas will have a whole new meaning at the Burkett household this year. The loss of Katie and my 1st Christmas without her in 18 years will definitely be challenging. There were many things that made Christmas such a very special time of year for the 2 of us. I am left here to continue traditions that have been a piece of our tradition for many years. While I struggle to cope with the selfishness of wishing she was here, I am going to make myself remember what she is enjoying during this very special time. 

  Our whole family would gather in the Living room on Dec. 23 and take the time to watch Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase. As the years went on many of our group quit doing it but Katie and I continued the tradition. Last year in an ironic twist of fate Buggs had Katie Mitchell come and spend the night with us and watch it. She took some pictures of our event last year so on the 23rd this year we are all gonna pile in the living room floor and take out those pictures and carry on our little tradition. 

  Katie was going to get a car this Christmas. We were going to break down and get her a new one to drive back and forth to Alabama. I can almost guarantee you that she would have ask for a Sugar Bowl ticket. She was not only a fan but she knows Alabama tradition as well. She knows how many important games Alabama has played in the Sugar Bowl. We have spent lots of evenings watching the Ala. Vs. Miami 1992 game. 

  Our time this Christmas will be getting together and talking about KK a good bit I am sure. However, I am going to spend a lot of time playing with Jack and Andrew and whatever they get this year. I am going to spend time with my Grandparents. I have never mentioned it before but my faith has been directly affected by them. I owe them much. I will also make sure that my parents know how very much I love and appreciate them. When you go thru something like what we have had to endure this year, Knowing that unconditional love that your parents have for you will help get you thru. 

  I can’t bring up the topic of unconditional love without saying one more time how much I know God loves me. My daughter left earth to go to heaven on July 20. I know this because the two of us had many conversations about her faith. Was she perfect? No, but she was a Christian and loves the Lord very much. I know where she is because as I have stated before my heavenly Father spoke to me on that Interstate and told me it was OK to let her come to her Father. He did that for 1 reason, to allow me to get thru this. To let me know that Katie is safe in his kingdom and he wanted to make my pain as easy as possible. You see, he knows of the pain that I have because he watched his son die a horrible death on the cross. He actually sent his son to do that for Katie,  For me, and everyone else that would have him as their Lord and Savior.  If you have not accepted him as your personal Savior, My prayer for you is that you would find someone to explain the Gospel to you or go in the bible and read John Chapter 3. Nobody knows for sure when their July 20th will be, but I am oh so very thankful that Katie was ready. 

Yours In Christ

Mike “ Buckett” Burkett

No comments: