Monday, December 22, 2008

Merry Christmas

     I would like to take a moment and say Merry Christmas to each one of you that read this blog from time to time. You guys have been witness to change in a man and his family that was brought on by tragedy and the circumstances around it. While most of my blogs have been centered on my emotions and feelings in the absence of my daughter, this one will be about our whole family. 

   We have grown closer to one another because from the beginning we had to lean on each other to make it day to day. It became clear to us that there were no guarantees of tomorrow for any of one of us personally or as family members. That in a blink of an eye our world could change. That realization has made it where there are fewer arguments over petty things. We are also spending much more time with one another and focusing on the good. We have been very blessed to all live close together. Where before I was somewhat reluctant to do all the running that we had to do to fit everyone in, this year I am looking forward to it. 

  I have often wondered how marriages survive after the death of a child. I am glad to say that Shelley and I are as close now as we have ever been. She was with me at a moment that was as close to a nightmare as one can imagine. She was my Rock and let me know that in no uncertain terms that we were going to get thru it. She has been an angel to me when I have needed love and a drill instructor when I have needed a kick in the pants. She has been doing all of this and at the same time being pregnant with Jamison. 

  Andrew is dealing with the loss of Katie from Day to Day just like I am. Buggs was the one constant in his life because Tynette and I divorced when he was very young. We have a new friend in our life named Jamon Grubbs. He is helping Andrew understand that its ok that he doesn’t understand what happened to KK. He looks forward to spending time with Jamon and according to Andrew, “Schooling him at X-Box”. Jamon, you are an Angel in that big ole 300lb body and I thank God you’re at GFBC. 

   Jackson has the best outlook of all of us. He misses Katie but thinks its good that she is with Jesus in heaven. In his own simple way he knows that it is all of our ultimate goal and he trust God to know that KK is in good hands. It kind of makes me jealous because I know that I should look at it in the same way he does. I am selfish and can’t get past the earthly side of me missing her. 

  All of the Burkett’s say thank you to all of you that have supported us. Please continue to pray for us because the hurt is still there. We will do all we can to remember that Katie Burkett is having her very first Christmas with the King of Kings and what an awesome thing that must be. We also hope all of you have a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year. 

Mike “Buckett” Burkett

No comments: